About Me

My photo
Southern France
Lynn Deasy is a freelance writer, author, foodie, and garden tinkerer. She lives in a 600 year old house in southern France with her husband, Christophe. Currently, she is looking for a literary agent for her memoir CA VA? STORIES FROM RURAL LIFE IN SOUTHERN FRANCE which examines the oddities of French provincial living from an outsider’s point of view through a series of adventures that provide more than a fair share of frustration, education, admiration, and blisters…. yes, lots and lots of blisters. Lynn blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and sometimes Friday.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Pickles!

I just discovered something magical: I can make homemade pickles.  This might not seem like something noteworthy given the vast selection in any US supermarket, but it is a huge revelation for us because we cannot find pickles in France, and I love them.  Yes, yes, there are pickle counterparts, like the cornichons, but they aren’t the same.  They’re sweet and lack the garlicy crunch that makes a burger perfect.  I like cornichons, but I’m disappointed every time I want a real kosher dill; they just doesn’t stack up.  We’ve been bringing pickles back with us from the United States, and with a 23 pound baggage weight limit, we’ve had to make to some difficult decisions about what goes in the suitcase.  Each year, we ration our pickle consumption so they’ll last until our next trip stateside.  It’s not easy and some polite fighting has occurred over the last, remaining pickle.  So, when I stumbled across a recipe for “ice box pickles” I was curious, and happily discovered that I have most of the ingredients right in the garden.  Everything goes right in the jar, the jar goes in the fridge, and one week later, voila!  The pickles are ready.  And, HOLY COW, they’re great!  Not just “great” as in “they’ll do”, but great as in better than the last store bought jar we tasted them against.  They’re AWESOME!  Still very crunchy, the pickles had all the garlicy goodness I was craving and a bite from the cayenne pepper put them over the top.  I ate three right away.  No more hoarding, no more rationing, I can have all the pickles I want, whenever I want.  I even dreamt about them last night. The cherry on the cake to this is now we have more room in our suitcases for Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, which not so strangely enough, goes great with our homemade pickles.

Here’s the recipe if you’re interested.  I discovered it thanks to fellow blogger The Magic Apron.

Dill Refrigerator Pickles
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs Kirby cucumbers (sometimes labeled pickling cukes), cut in half lengthwise.  (I don’t know what type of cucumbers we have in the garden, but I’m guessing most anything would work.)
  • 2 cups white distilled vinegar
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 good handful of fresh dill seed
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds  (I searched all around for this, but couldn’t find it.  Strange for a country that loves its mustard so.)
  • 1/2 tsp chili flakes or a dried red hot pepper (optional)
  • 1 tsp black peppercorns
Directions:
  1. Place all the seasonings in the bottom of a 2 or 3 quart jar. Add the cucumber halves, stacking them so they don’t float around too much.
  2. Measure out the vinegar, water and salt in a separate container and stir until the salt dissolves.
  3. Pour the liquid into the jar containing the cucumbers. Make sure the liquid covers all of the cucumbers.
  4. Seal the lid tightly and shake for about a minute. Put in the fridge and wait… patiently.
  5. Wait for 6 or 7 days, giving the jar a good shake each day.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to have aided in your pickle addiction! I'm not even sure where I got my mustard seeds, whether grocery store or from Penzey's Spices. I'm glad you liked it! Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe off-hand for homemade hot sauce... I might have to go searching, though!

    And for the record, how can your husband balk at cupcakes?!?! Come on--little cakes smothered in frosting is nothing to sneer at! I think he should go online and order you a muffin tin pronto. Then I can share another addictive baked good coated in cinnamon and sugar--he won't be laughing then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled that the "Dish It Your Way" Challenge connected bloggers. It looks like it helped you reach pickle nirvana. I'm curious to know what your husband thinks about peanut butter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut Butter?? He hates it, but it doesn't stop me from buying it anyway. I even make peanut butter cookies at Christmas just to tease him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up on "reading"... you should try your hand at homemade peanut butter cups. Easy. And delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to know how that is done, recipe? Speaking of pickles, they go great on Reuben sandwiches, and since we cannot find corned beef here, we will be trying our hand at "pickling" that too. I'll let you know how it goes, or if a stomach pump is required.

    ReplyDelete